Monday, May 30, 2011

What am I doing for God?

Well gang, this post isn't exactly about my trip but it is something that has been on my heart for the past few days. I don't exactly how this is going to come out, but I figured blogging about it would help me get it straight in my head if nothing else.  As I have been going day to day doing this and that living the typical college kid summer the question that has been lingering in my head is, what am I doing for God?  Or in other words God is asking me, "Lawson, what are you doing for Me?"

When I go about this question I always want to answer it on a long term scale.  "Well God last semester I did this, and last summer I did that."  And I'm not saying that our long term answers to this question are wrong answers at all.  But, what if God is not asking about the big tasks we have accomplished and seem to remember on a long term scale.  What if he is asking "what are you doing for Me, NOW?" When the day is over and I have time to relax and think about it, I find it hard to come up with things I did for God.  Sure I can say "well God, I talked to you this morning, and I read some of your Word," but is that enough?  Is having a two minute conversation and spending ten minutes in the Word enough time out of our 24 hour day to spend with our creator?  I just can not find a peace in justifying that is enough.

I want to get to the point in my life where I approach each moment asking myself how I can glorify my creator in whatever it is I am about to do.  Whether that is playing golf, going to work, or even sitting at home on facebook.  I want to find a way to glorify God while doing it.  I think we are satisfied when we convince ourselves that whatever it is we are doing that "isn't a bad thing," is pleasing to the Lord.  This may or may not be true.  There are plenty of things out there that we do everyday that are not "bad things" by the world's standards, that in no way bring glory to God.

A verse of scripture that has been on my mind the past month or so is John 3:30. It says "He must increase, but I must decrease."  This is what I want to model my life after.  It will not be easy, and at times it may not be fun.  But, the blessings that come in the long run will be so amazing.  I want to challenge myself as well as anyone reading this to approach everything you do asking yourself how you can decrease while increasing your Savior.

In Him,
  Lawson Albey

No comments:

Post a Comment